Our #brickcraftsman property is finished!

It’s been a while but we’re back with the details of our recent investment project!

Almost every inch of this property ended up getting touched

We shared some progress photos on Instagram using #brickcraftsman if you want to check them out.

As a recap, we bought this property at the end of June as a potential rental. At purchase it was a 2+1 bedroom, 2 bath home with a finished basement in the Delta East neighbourhood of Crown Point. 

Almost every inch of this property ended up getting touched. 

We knocked down an enclosed back porch and put up a new deck. 


We removed the glass block window in the kitchen letting natural afternoon light stream into the room. We also took out all those faux brick panels which added to the dark and gloomy feel in the kitchen.

We finished off the ceiling beams…one at 12 feet, the other at 16 feet and hung this hanging pendant light fixture. 


The game changer was this partially finished loft area

A new roof, new soffits, fascia, and gutters, new AC, new backsplash, new flooring in the basement, trim throughout the house and paint, paint, paint.

The game changer was this partially finished loft area. 


When we started the project it was framed, insulated and had some drywall and subflooring. However, our contractor wanted to ensure the structural integrity of the space so he opened most of it up and found some issues with the framing, which he worked to fix. After a few design iterations for this blank canvas, we decided to add a master bedroom with ensuite and walk-in closet.



The space needed new electrical, new HVAC ducts and returns, an plumbing. We ran this through the two main floor bedroom closets which required bulkheads to be built and finished.


The final product is an inviting and relaxing retreat away from the rest of the family. We kept the design pretty classic: white subway tile in the shower with ceramic black and white hex and diamond tile on the floor. We laid vinyl plank flooring in the bathroom/closet area and laminate in the bedroom.

We wanted to bring some of the character from the rest of the house upstairs. This oak French door was originally in the vestibule by the front door. We shaved off some of the bottom to fit the new frame and plan to frost the window panes to add some privacy.


The final piece was the new oak staircase our contractor built to replace the temporary one that was previously there. The pitch was lowered and a couple extra stairs we added to meet code. We stained it walnut and varnished it up for protection. Now there’s safe and stylish access to the new space upstairs.


We moved quickly to get photos done for the rental listing. These pics were taken at about 85% complete, which is why some of the trim is missing. Here’s a few more from that set.




Good thing we did. Within a week we had an outpouring of interested perspective tenants. We ended up signing a lease with a nice family making a new start in Hamilton.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s